Thursday 7 January 2010

Modernist Fashion in SL



Okay, time to 'fess up I am mildly addicted to the Meriken fashion house, its style is much more midsixties than the early stylistically mod period up to circa '65; but at least it has a retro feel and thats very rare amongst male fashion on the grid unless its some hippy dippy party piece. Therefore, its no shocks thats I view the Meriken stock with a feverish brow, holding back a lindens implosion as I perform a quick smash and grab . So I was thrilled to discover Meriken was involved in a winter sale promotion with several itwems knocked down to a very tasty fifty lindens. Hey man I'm on that bus to splash some lindens, looking virtually cool and all for the price of a lunchtime session down The Eagle,, cant be bad.

First up were some uber cool jackets for fifty lindens a piece, the rather plain navy and black are quintisentionally mod, three button boxed style they have a neat beat boys appeal to them. Whereas the gold and silver python styled jackets are much more '68 than '64 but in the virtual mod world I feel they are still worthy of a place in the modernist fashion canon.



Four jackets for the regular priceof one I'll have some of that, totally mod-tastic.

Next I set my beady eyes on the racks of trousers and again I opted to go safe with one set and  tad daring with another. The first set are a simple chino style selection, great with jackets, sweaters or shirts ideally mod, and whilst lacking the current trend for prim cuffs they are still a neat set, alsio at fifty each. I grabbed these three with glee and then decided to make a splash. The second set of three are definitely more from the mod crossover into psychadelic period.  Its big bollox time if you want to stride out in these, but I thought they looked cool and definitely caught the eye. Matched with a very plain black sweater from Artilleri the trousers look mastyerfully retro and whilst definitely a long way from strictly mod they do have that sixties vibe strung across them so I slung my bollox on and bought them, real world  not a feckin' chance but this is virtual mod so why not. These too lack the prim cuffs of the current trend but are beautifully textured and cut to a sixties style that will always attract attention, and lets be honest being a mod centres on being the face at the heart of all the attention. Otherwise Sting's character would have been in a beige suit!



So, laden with a serious selection of trousers I opted for one more plunge into the pool of Meriken sales and grabbed a couple of shirts. Full of the fragrance of midsixties psychadelic mod I grabbed a pair of spotted shirts that I figured would look cool matched with the sombre navy and black jackets, bang jobs a good un.



So leap onto your scooter and grab a few of these items while they are still at a tidy fifty lindens each, or grabbed one of the sets for a couple of hundred. Neomodernism on a plate, chill.

Meriken

No comments:

Post a Comment