Sunday 29 November 2009

Wandering the grid...

...in search of entertainment can be hard task. Don't get the wrong idea I love my regular Tuesday and Thursday night mod sessions with modsters sumpreme Eden and Kim plus the regulars; and I'm always eager to leap on the tp sent out by the OSRHQ to enjoy a fun filled night of funk. But, occassionally I like to see new places even if I'm happy for the soul music to remain the same.


During my roaming  came across the Some Place Else area;a small shopping mall, with a nice little club and good dance floor at its centre where they are streaming in some nice soul tunes via shoutcast. I am unsure if the club holds live soul nights or if its merely their favourite music stream sent in to entertain the shoppers. Not the coolest looking club but any port in a storm..here's hoping it starts up some kind of soul DJ night, or mod night [its what dreams are made of] that doesnt clash with any existing nights and so broadens the portfolio of mod/soul/funk on the grid.

Randomly typing motown into the search engine and then tping into likely spots also brought me to the Soul Vibrations Club which was streaming a more contemporay soul stream. Greeted by a dancing soul bot i mived onto the dance floor of this rather spartan venue, ostensibly a fenced dance floor on a tropical beach. Despite a lack of architectural glamour the club works the tropical setting suiting the chilled smooth soul streamed into the dancers.


Of the two clubs I prefered the setting of the Vibrations club but the motown stream of the Some Place Else shoutcast was probably closer to my musical tastes. Are they both just empty blocks of land streaming soul to nobody or do they lie at the heart of a throbbing soul community. I hope its the latter but my Second Life experience teaches me that the former is sadsly much more likely.

Soul is all over the grid, and it is thriving in pockets. Mod is the exclusive preserve of a couple of British clubs, more DJs more venues are need. The hard working mod DJs and owners do a great job but cant do it all alone. What the grid needs is more live DJs playing non-clashing gigs at venues across the grid, here'shoping it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment