Thursday 8 April 2010

Mods on the Road


Shauna's blog post over at Moonletters discussing virtual mods,and scooters got me thinking ... clank clank yes it does hurt. So I thought I'd do a little waffling:

Virtual modism wanders severely from the regimented restriction that define real life mods, in fashion-in music-and in hair styles. But even in the virtual world you cannot lay claim to being a mod without possessing a scooter. So iconic is the scooter in mod myth that its an essential item even when its no longer necessary. Essentially mods rode scooters because they couldnt afford cars, you dont believe me. Lets see rainy Brighton '64, who gets the girl the soaked parka clad mod on the Vespa offering a drenched back seat; or the chilled mod in the tonic suit in the Austin Healey? If you think its the scooter ... Wake Up!

For working class youths of this era owning a car didnt even register as a possibility; their parents didnt even have cars it was an aspiration that wasnt quite attainable. But, you needed to be mobile and so you had an option a great oily brute of a Triumph, BSA et al or sharp Italian scooter that wouldnt crease your trousers or leaves oil over the suit your still paying off on HP for the next five months. Its no surprise that the scooter won out. Besides it was easier to make a statement crawling along with your mrrors glaring in trhe pale sunshine, than  a flash of leather clad grease roaring past at ninety miles an hour. The mods choice was the cool and functional scooter, a wise one. The revivalist of the eighties took scooter customisation one step further with elaborate paint job, chroming of every metallic part, and tuning to reach dizzying speeds on what was essentially a rather unstable comfy chair. So strong is the iconic status of the scooter, that motor aspirations of the mods are forgotten and so in a world where you could have a Ferrari, an Aston Martin, a Lambourghini or all three ... the mod still chooses the scooter.

So once you decide to get involved in the virtual mod scene you decide you need a scooter and begin your search. Short cut, you have only two options the scooters at Medeka Garage or the scooters built by Slate McLeod*. Honestly, I have seen most of the scooters available and if you want to look sharp these are your only viable options. I have mentioned both in the blog before so seems pointless to review them again, so instead I will put my head on the block and make a choice.

I love my Vespa from Medeka, its colour changuing scripting, its mod attachments make it a wonderfully mod vehicle and I adore their Lambretta TV; but, my Union Jack scooter has a mod soul at the heart of it. Slate's a classic virtual British mod and its that mod soul that is expressed in his scooters. They just feel like a mods scooter, its something inherent in their creation, and he provides you with a wearable option. The wearable option is crucial if you wish to partake in the impromptu scooter rallies that spring up at mod club nights. So, both wonderful builders; both wonderful machines but if I had to pick one .. its my Union Jack Vespa.

*mention you have snaps of his mankini you might get a discount, lol.

5 comments:

  1. Ok Albion, now you're causing me to want to get a new scooter. I do have one, but so far never bought one from Slate. The only reason I hesitated was due to the ungodly prim count in his scooters. I know I can 'wear' it but it's more often I'd be wanting to display it out front so everyone could see how cool it is. Hey, I just looked on Xstreet and see that he's made the scooters copy/mod. I think it may be possible to put them on a temp rezzer and cheat about the prim count then. Is your favorite the union jack one? That one is cool, but if I buy one I'm getting Jimmy's Lambretta LI150 from Quadrophenia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the Jimmy one is really cool, he has a few that are cool. its a tough call i forget how much they are now but a lot less than an Aoharu suit .In the end its about personal style and Slate's scooters appeal to my eye. There care some nifty cheaper ones but i dont think they are as good. Theres not much to choose between his and the Medeka ones [cant remember prices long time since i bought mine] i think both are copy so you could have them rezzed outside your front door. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. After getting sent here by New World Notes, I'm letting you know that I'm adding this blog to my blogroll at Around the Grid with Harper, my blog of Grid news and fashion. Good work here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Albion! I have the Rich Bitch scooter. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh thanks Harper

    woo hoo go for it Pay!!

    ReplyDelete