Saturday 27 February 2010

So, Soul Mods ...

... whats the big attraction?

There are a few mod night events at the minute that I'd like to attend but sadly they keep clashing with dates so I have to make a choice on which club to attend. This is difficult because there are some very cool venues out there supplying some awesome music, and yet despite this new surge in mod nights I am still drawn to the Soul Mods Mecca, and to be brutally frank I rarely go anywhere else these days. Why?

First up, the DJs, the four residents play the kind of music I like to listen too, its simple really. Thursday night is the mod inspired sounds of Kim, Eden and Sean, they divide the nights on a rota but its irrelevant which one is playing as they can all cut it in the tunes department. Each DJ has subtle differences in their set selection so whilst the music is similar it can be quite a different soundscape depending on which one of them is at the decks.


The three of them keep the crowds entertained with sublime tunes, and Sean has his own unique err style of DJ patter, suffice to say I cant see it being adopted on R2. What can you expect, from Eden and Kim its classics all the way, Kim likes to throw in a lot of ska whilst Eden is the mistress of the sixties beats; Sean likes the obscure or classics with a twist; for example refusing to play Soul Mods favourites the Small Faces but instead playing tracks from Marriots early days or covers of Small Faces tunes. The banter between the punters and the DJs is good, we appreciate the time and effort they put in [well obviously not Sean as he just wings it, but its damn good winging it] and although we mock and laugh we realise we'd be stuffed without them. So its a Thursday night what can you expect, well usually this ...



Friday nights at Soul Mods belong to the Baron, when the club is transformed into the Highlands Room, the pounding heart of virtual Northern Soul. The Baron brings a wealth of soul knowledge to the decks and he leads us on a whirlwind tour back to the heady days of the seventies for some scinterlating soul sounds. For those unfamiliar with Northern Soul I strongly advise that you get yourself to Soul Mods on a Friday night at 9pm for an education in how good soul music can be.

What makes the Baron so good, simple: years of experience, a wealth of knowledge and importantly undiminshed passion for the music he plays. He plays an awesome soul set, throwing in classics that we all know and love with the occassional spike of something rare that we may not have heard for years or perhaps never heard. Its the way the music seamless flows through the set and keeps your feet hot to the beat, at home and on the virtual dance floor. On occassion I have even been known to sing, much to my wife's chagrin; my voice is more the bellowing kind! Marvin Gaye I aint. So join the Baron's group for a heads up on whats happening in the virtual Northern Soul scene, you'll see his board at his gigs, give it a tickle and get onboard. Head to the Highland Rooms on a Friday tune into tracks like this and I defy you to stop your feet from grooving ...



So one big attraction is the music thats played. Another is the hosts Dugi and Aston, they dont hassle you for tips, they dont hassle you with notes to join groups; they dont hassle you with anything just give you a warm hello and let you enjoy the tunes that they enjoy so much. Such great hosts deserve a great crowd, and thats the final piece in the Soul Mods jig saw. the avis that attend and the people behind the keyboard; amongst the coolest wittiest kids on the grid they keep a lively chat line going most nights and happily mock each other and themselves for the entertainment of us all.

So, much as I love attending other gigs these four elements keep drawing me back and my Thursday/Friday virtual life is booked, and I have not even discussed Tuesdays at the AAi, its a tough virtual life, but somebody has to live it!

1 comment:

  1. I agree Soul Mods is the best place to go for mod stuff now. Dugi and Aston are the coolest, and yes it's refreshing they don't ask for "Linden Love" all the time. As for music, I like what Eden and Kim play best, but no one beats the Baron for being warm and welcoming on voice. Whenever he talks I just feel happy and like I could plop down on the sofa and make myself at home. Sean is probably my favorite though for typing. . . it's not often I get to see someone type in a Scottish accent. Will have to bug him to talk on the mic more when he DJs.

    ReplyDelete