Tuesday 18 August 2009

The "Virtual" Jam in SL

I'd seen a lot of second life musicians; playing covers and original stuff and on the whole its pretty good stuff. But, this would be the ultimate a virtual tribute band covering my boyhood heroes, and icon of of manhood...The Jam, lead by the Uber Neo-Mod, Paul Weller.

Teleporting in, I headed to the front rail, sounds just like real life, except for one subtle difference...I was seated on my Vespa; in all my years of following the band/man I've never watched a gig sat astride a Vespa:
<span class=
So, I had my seat organised only had to wait for the band to come on stage. When they did, dressed in sharp dark suits; I instantly recognised a couple of flaws a) there were four of them, b) one was a girl. Ah well no matter Weller had always said he'd wanted a fourth member on hammond organ, further evidence of his Small Faces influences. It was no big deal, time to hear what they sounded like.

The first tune rumbled out, and it was taken off a "live" album sounded great but i have that on my i-tunes and the sound quality is. superior; the gig was obviously the four avis animated on stage while a series of recorded live tracks were streamed out to the audience [I was tempted to say crowd, but we numbered less than a dozen]. That's not quite what I was expecting.

Conclusions: well listening to old Jam tracks is always a joy; but, I could have watched a DVD, listened to I-Tunes or I-Pod or even dragged the albums and singles onto the turntable etc...so on the whole a touch disappointing. Not the modfest celebration I had anticipated,,,ah well keep on dancing and move to the beat if you want to be the virtual ace face.

No comments:

Post a Comment